Wednesday 13 March 2013

Watercolour Nail Art Tutorial!


Today I'm going to show you how to create the watercolour effect on your nails!

I only saw how to do this last week, and I really wanted to try it, as I think it looks really good! 

Here is a picture of my finished nails...


With top coat even though I am running low in it!




I started off with painting my nails in the Collection 2000 Hot Looks - Candy Floss. I found that two coats gave a perfect opacity for me. You can use whatever nail polish brand that you want to use, however I do recommend you do use a light or pastel colour, like white, pink or blue.

Once this has dried put on a clear top coat, (I used Barry M), to protect your painted nails for the next step and then let this dry too.


Two coats of Candy Floss and a top coat
Then choose another colour that is different and darker than the original nail paint colour, I used my Collection 2000 Hot Looks -  Teeny Bikini because I thought that these colours went nice together and I was also feeling rather girly!.

The nail polishes I used. 'Teeny Bikini' looks like its separated because of the different shades you can see, but it really hasn't - I've just had it for a very long time!

With this different colour and a small dotting tool or paintbrush, put 2-3 dots, of the nail polish, on to your nail. If you do too many dots, then the coverage of this second colour can be quite thick, which you don't want, as you want the two colours to be visible. The dots don't need to be large in size, but they do need to be thick otherwise their wont be enough nail polish colour for the next step!

My middle finger with three thick, but not large dots on the nail.
As soon as you have painted the dots, quickly dip a larger paintbrush in nail polish remover, and dab the brush on your nail, spreading out the nail polish dots. If you have to much of the nail polish remover on the brush it tends to make the second nail colour light and less visible - if there is not enough on the brush, then the dots might not spread out and have a good effect on your nails. If you don't do this step quick enough, then there will be visible rings on your nails where the outside of the dots have dried, and you don't want that!

The pattern I achieved by this method!

You also have to make sure that you defiantly put a top coat on the original nail polish you put on, as this protects that colour from being faded by the nail polish remover that helps create the unique design!

An even closer close-up!

Leave this to dry (mine did this quite quickly), and finish your nails with a clear top coat. This will just help to keep the design on your nails, otherwise it could smudge off - also it makes your nails shiny!

Most of my hand with a top coat (sorry about my pinkie! It wanted to curl under my accent finger!)

I really want to try this method again, especially with more colours! Have you guys ever seen or tried this technique? Do you like it?! If you have any pictures we would love to see!

Bye for now!

Andie x

No comments:

Post a Comment