Thursday 23 May 2013

First Experiment with Striping Tape!

I ordered my first packs of striping tape last month from here, and they finally arrived last week! Yay for me! So straightaway I couldn't wait to experiment different designs and colours because, let's be honest, they're endless!

Here is what I came up with this week!

(with a clear top coat)

Find out how I did this after the jump!



I started with panting my nails in two coats of Barry M Berry Ice Cream.

(my index finger is a little dented, oops!)

I let these fully dry and then I cut up pieces of my striping tape. I made sure tha thtey were long enough so they fitted over my nails. I then placed them in the design I wanted. 

Once these were in place over all my nails I reached for my lovely Barry M Gelly Greenberry which I swatched here. I then painted my nails again, like usual, over the Berry Ice Cream and the tape. I did only one coat, otherwise it is too thick for the next part!

I have read a few tutorials or striping tape, (simply so I knew what I had to do!) and they pretty much all say that you need to peel off the tape when the top colour is still wet. So I tried this and my top colour went all crinkly, it bunched up and moved into the lines I was trying to keep it out of! If this happens to you, please let me know, so I know I'm not the only one!  

Because of this, I did a little experiment on my other hand, and it worked a lot better! I left the top colour of nail polish to dry a bit, before peeling off the tape. This obviously was just what my design needed to save it from going horribly wrong! I must put too much polish on, if it is just me that this happens too!

So once I removed all of the tape, I left my top colour (Barry M Gelly Greenberry), to dry before putting on a clear top coat!



These photo's make the Gelly polish, seem really blue! It's not, its quite green, but this didn't show up in any of my pictures:( However, I do really like these designs I came up with, they are simple, but I would like too see what this would look like with thicker pieces of striping tape and possibly different colours too!

Do you like this design or have any questions?!

Andie x

2 comments:

  1. Sorry it seems as if I am spamming your pages with questions! :S But I was going to order the same striping tape and just wanted to ask how you were getting on with it and would you still recommend the same place? Thanks anyway!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love answering any questions you have! I was quite impressed with the tape I got, especially because it was so cheap and you get 10 rolls! They are easy to hold and use as long as you have the right equipment (tweezers and sharp scissors). They came in a variety of colours, which was quite cool! The individual rolls of tape were a bit flimsy but I suppose that's as expected with something so thin! I would definatly recommend these rolls of tape and the place I got them from, because they were cheap, easy to use, and arrived quite quick! I hope this has helped you to make up your mind! Your questions are always welcome! Andie x

    ReplyDelete